Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The point of black and white

The point which I am bringing out here is definitely not so colorful! But it is about colors.

Few days back, I heard a conversation between a six to seven-year-old boy and his grandmother in my neighborhood.

Sentences of the grandmother were something like, "Take bath. Look at you. You have become so black. You have got so dirt on your body." I heard no reply from that boy. He is just a little kid.

The next day, I again heard that boy's aunt saying the same thing, "Oh God! Look at you. This much dirt? Let me scrub you." This time, the boy replied, "No. Please don't scrub."

It didn't surprise me. It is a common mentality. Let's not talk about the gender differentiation now otherwise this blog will be 10 times bigger. But here I am talking about the color differentiation, I would say. If there are two kids of almost the same age, a third person will definitely differentiate them by their color tone first. They won't say it but they do mentally. The height of such sick mentality reaches when people go to see a newborn baby and they state, "Oh! She/he is so white just like her/his mother/father!" I mean, come on. She/he is just few hours old. At least spare her/him! Even parents start thinking like this after hearing such stupid sentences. How miserable it is!

Today I heard one more thing.
That same boy came out while his mother was busy washing clothes. She said, "Let me wash clothes first. Then you will take bath. These clothes are so dirty."
The boy asked, "Does the dirt on our body come from these clothes? That's why I am so black?" Again, I heard no reply. But I am sure that the mother didn't even notice anything. She kept washing clothes. She wasn't even concerned about it. (I wish she was!)

What I noticed is the innocence. They kept telling the boy and the boy grasped it. He doesn't even know the difference between skin tones, and he asked out of innocence.

When will we stop judging people on the base of their skin color? What is black, what is white  and what is wheat-ish? When will people understand the science behind the skin colors? How does skin color matter? How can the beauty be defined on such base? 

No comments:

Post a Comment